Copy Fees for Release of Health Information
Oregon Medical Board, Division 12. (Patient’s access to medical records (847-012-0000)
(1) Licensees of the Oregon Medical Board must make protected health information in the medical record available to the patient or the patient’s representative upon their request, to inspect and obtain a copy of protected health information about the individual, except as provided by law and this rule. The patient may request all or part of the record. A summary may substitute for the actual record only if the patient agrees to the substitution. Board licensees are encouraged to use the written authorization form provided by ORS 192.566.
(6) A reasonable cost may be imposed for the costs incurred in complying with the patient’s request for health information. These costs may include:
(a) No more than $30 for copying 10 or fewer pages of written material, and no more than 50 cents per page for pages 11 through 50, and no more than 25 cents for each additional page;
(b) A bonus charge of $5 if the request for records is processed and the records are mailed by first class mail to the requester within seven business days after the date of the request;
(c) Postage costs to mail copies of the requested records;
(d) Actual costs of preparing an explanation or summary of the health information, if such information is requested by the patient; and
(e) Actual costs of reproducing films, x-rays, or other reports maintained in a non-written form.
(7) A patient may not be denied summaries or copies of his/her medical records because of inability to pay.
(8) Requests for medical records must be complied with within a reasonable amount of time not to exceed 30 days from the receipt of the request.
(9) Violation of this rule will result in a $195 fine and may be cause for further disciplinary action by the Board.
Please follow this link for a full review of the Administrative Rule: https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/displayDivisionRules.action?selectedDivision=3882