St. Charles Health System
Department Summary: The Health Information Management Departments at St. Charles Health System, provides many services to our multi-hospital organization including: prepping, scanning and indexing, physician deficiency analysis, release of information, medical record maintenance, facility and profee coding, and medical transcription.
Position Overview: The St. Charles Health System’s The HIM Specialist III is an advanced level position, responsible for working with a variety of internal and external customers on behalf of St. Charles Health System patients to ensure timely and accurate management of confidential health information. .This position does not directly manage other caregivers, however may be asked to review and provide feedback on the work of other caregivers.
- Performs retrospective record reveiw audits on physician documentation for the organization incorporating TJC & CMS documentation requirements into the assessment.
- Reviews records for documentation deficiencies in relation to timeliness, quality of content and authentication.
- Critical thinking skills; being able to recognize content of required documentation when performing audits.
- Has a thorough understanding of where clinical documentation resides in the EHR when performing audits.
- Advanced skills in record archive management – such as storing records, archiving records based on state regulations.
- Advanced skills in Release of Information – assisting with MyChart release requests, MyChart activation requests, MyChart proxy requests, uploading PHI to secure portals and burning PHI on CD’s.
- Accurately transcribes Epic Partial Dictations making sure that the transcription is correct, complete and has consistent style, as needed.
- Use of transcription administrative console to help monitor workflow of partial dictations.
- Follows patient confidentiality guidelines and legal documentation requirements
- Has a thorough knowledge of reference materials and how to research.
- Supports the vision, mission and values of the organization in all respects.
- Supports Value Improvement Practice (VIP- Lean) principles of continuous improvement with energy and enthusiasm, functioning as a champion of change.
- Provides and maintains a safe environment for caregivers, patients and guests.
- Conducts all activities with the highest standards of professionalism and confidentiality. Complies with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures, supporting the organization’s corporate integrity efforts by acting in an ethical and appropriate manner, reporting known or suspected violation of applicable rules, and cooperating fully with all organizational investigations and proceedings.
- Delivers customer service and/or patient care in a manner that promotes goodwill, is timely, efficient and accurate.
- May perform additional duties within the organization, as required or assigned.
Required: If the caregiver has a RHIT Certification; then this position will require the caregiver to maintain required educational credits (CE) through AHIMA.
Preferred: A valid Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification
Required: Two to four years of hospital/medical office experience with a Health Information Management focus
Preferred: Three to five years’ experience
Required: Associate Degree in Health Record Technology; or 2 years equivalent work experience in related field may be substituted for education with High School diploma or GED.
Healthcare, Vision, Dental, 403b, and Earned Time Off